Tomi Oladepo | 3rd year PhD student at the Centre for Cultural Policy Studies, University of Warwick. She is interested in digital media and culture. Suddenly falling in love with waffles, she eats two slices each morning (without a cup of coffee).

Writing  babyThis morning, Bertha* sent an academic-distress-call about drafting a topic and proposal for her PhD. After sharing from my wealth of experience, which is just a little stash I must confess, with Bertha’s* permission, I thought it was a good idea to share her challenge with this great community.

I promised Bertha you would help, so please share this post and comment.

Bertha’s message:

I just started a doctoral programme at the University of Dandiba* (Library and Information Science Department). I am a Librarian with Herbert Macaulay* University…

Formulating a research topic is not my strong point and I am currently at crossroads at the moment. I want to write on how knowledge management practices affect students learning outcomes in education.

The topic I sent to my supervisor is ‘the implications of knowledge management practices in improving student learning outcomes in Nigerian federal universities’

Her response was ‘who is doing KM? How would that affect student learning outcomes? Not logical’.

I’ve been on the issue of topic selection for sometime now and I am not making any headway.

Could you please help in any way you can?

So I’ve put it out here for us to offer our tips and advice. If you’re doing a PhD on library studies and management, please come forth, and if you’ve blogged about selecting a research topic, please share your links.

What would you recommend to Bertha?

Bertha* asked her real name and universities be withheld, but the problem is VERY REAL.

Photo Credits: @dudu_duttie